Real Estate Agent
for Real Estate Sales Agents
The typical entry level education for this occupation is a postsecondary training (non-degree).
Examples of the knowledge needed for success in this occupation is listed below, in order of importance.
- Sales and Marketing: Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government: Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
Examples of the skills needed for success in this occupation are listed below, in order of importance.
- Speaking: Talking to others.
- Negotiation: Bringing people together to solve differences.
- Persuasion: Talking people into changing their minds or their behavior.
- Active Listening: Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions.
- Social Perceptiveness: Understanding people’s reactions.
Examples of the abilities needed for success in this occupation are listed below, in order of importance.
- Oral Expression: Communicating by speaking.
- Oral Comprehension: Listening and understanding what people say.
- Speech Clarity: Speaking clearly.
- Written Comprehension: Reading and understanding what is written.
- Speech Recognition: Recognizing spoken words.
Detailed Work Activities
Examples of the detailed work activities involved with this occupation are listed below, in order of importance.
- Negotiate prices or other sales terms.
- Develop content for sales presentations or other materials.
- Prepare sales or other contracts.
- Gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
- Obtain property information.